“Clean Energy for All” package
ERT supports a holistic approach that integrates security of supply, sustainability and competitiveness
The European Commission’s “Clean Energy for All Package” is a welcome and key step forward in ensuring the transition towards a more secure, clean and competitive energy market in the European Union. ERT supports the package’s three main goals: 1/ putting energy efficiency first; 2/ achieving global leadership in renewable energies; and 3/ providing a fair deal for consumers.
Our main points (in short):
- Ensure the predictability and stability of the long-term policy framework.
- Safeguard the package’s consistency throughout the legislative process.
- Bolster the EU industry’s readiness for new opportunities and new operating environments triggered by the energy and climate transition.
- The proposed energy policy framework should acknowledge that only a globally competitive industry has the capacity to deploy and invest in low-carbon innovation, and to assume a more active role in electricity markets.
- ERT supports market-based and technology neutral solutions from a holistic system perspective for promoting the uptake of energy efficiency and for better integrating renewables in the electricity market by providing flexibility, balancing services, and backup capacity.
- For the energy market, the introduction of an Emission Performance Standard for capacity payments is transparent and consistent with long-term EU climate strategy.
- Proportionate measures for customer empowerment are supported.
- Set targets for energy efficiency in a smart way to allow for growth and development, in particular, as the low-carbon energy transition will lead to increased energy demand in some industrial processes involved in this transformation.
- Increased energy efficiency is particularly relevant for the buildings sector, where it has high potential.
- Digital technologies support the energy transition and are a great opportunity for European leadership and long-term growth.