Although the Commission’s Energy Union Strategy is a fair roadmap towards further integrating the EU energy markets, we want to emphasise the following points as key priorities for industry:
- Focus on reducing high energy costs and prices
- Security of energy supply – a key parameter for investment decisions
- Need for an EU-wide governance model that stimulates implementation and progress
- Transparency while safeguarding commercially sensitive information
The paper also calls for a long-term vision which should be based on:
- Coordinating and assessing the impact of major national energy choices from an EU-wide perspective
- Building energy infrastructure that closes the existing gaps and that allows companies to invest in the most effective way, which may lead to the lowest cost for society.